Sunday, September 30, 2012

Action Research Plan Progress

Action Research Progress

I am very satisfied with my progress on my action research up to this point.  I did have time to research more information regarding parent involvement over the summer and I found Epstein’s framework for six types on involvement to be important and meaningful to my action research plan.  I took each type of involvement and looked to see how our district can accomplish those goals. I also looked to see what was keeping us as a district from having success in these areas.  I know that the lack of a Parent Teacher Organization is just a small part of the picture.  In order to truly be successful I need to make sure to include all grades from Pre-k through 12th grade.  Meeting with parents on their time not just the time best for teachers has to be a priority.  If children are missing key components in their education like internet access and guidance from adults at home then our district need to  help parents meet those needs and provide them with resources available to aid in their child’s education achievement.   
            I presented my plan to implement a District Parent Involvement Committee to teachers and staff at our district convocation in August and received a great deal of support from all campuses and grade levels. The survey I created and used after my presentation gave me some insight on topics that need to be addressed on the agenda for the first committee meeting.  I was also able to find stakeholders willing and able to serve on this committee.  Our first meeting is planned for October 9th and I hope to have a plan of action laid out for the rest of the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment